Friday, June 22, 2012

Cookie Column #1

By Amber Peters
I always love trying new recipes, but I’ve found the crème de la crème of cookies lies not in the newest and latest, but in a cookie I’ve known since before I can remember: my grandmother’s recipe for chocolate chip cookies. This is the recipe that brings back those childhood memories of cooking with my sister, Tasha on a Sunday afternoon, eating half the dough before the cookies even get in the oven. Being impatient, I’d always try to eat one before they had cooled, and would burn my fingers and tongue on the hot dough. The melty chocolate left traces on our skin, yet even with our faces covered in chocolate, we’d have just one more. Tasha would always say, “You split, I choose” and pick the bigger half, but she’d still end up begging me for just one more piece of mine. That classic mix of sugar, butter and flour, mixed with oatmeal and chocolate chips, comes together to make the most delightful chocolate chip cookie I’ve had both the chance to eat and the honour to make. And the dough is not too bad either…

Recipe for Nana’s Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter 
  • ¾ cup white sugar
  • ¾ brown sugar 
  • 1 tsp. vanilla 
  • 1 ½ cups flour
  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 2 tsp. hot water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¾ cup chocolate chips (approx.)

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown and white sugar, and vanilla. Nowadays my Nana just melts the butter and stirs it in, but I personally like to work the butter and sugar together with a pastry cutter. Use whichever method best suits you.
  3. Stir in egg and hot water.
  4. Mix in dry ingredients and chocolate chips.
  5. Roll dough into balls, place on a buttered cookie sheet and press down with a fork.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Source:
Brunner, Rose. Simply Delicious. 1988.