Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Student Speak

By: Clare T.

Western Canada High School is the biggest public school in Calgary, and attracts hundreds of diverse students each year. In this issue of the Western World, Clare Talbot finds out why some of these students chose Western and how they feel about their decision now.


Mila H., Grade 12

CT: Why did you decide to come to Western?
MH: Well, I’m actually one of the student minorities here at Western who lives in the school district! Honestly, I never considered going anywhere else. Western has an amazing reputation, and it’s such a fun place to be at!
CT: What’s one word you think describes Western and why?
MH: One word that I think describes Western is ideal. Western offers so many opportunities, it’s in the middle of the city, and because it’s so big, it helps with the transition into university!
CT: If you could be any teacher at Western for one day, who would you be and why?
MH: If I could be any teacher at Western for one day, I would be my P.E/ Leadership teacher, Mr. Wiebe. It seems like he has a really fun job, and everybody loves him!


Jenny Y., Grade 10

CT: Why did you decide to come to Western?
JY: I decided to come to Western because I heard from so many friends that it’s a wonderful school, with a great academic and athletic reputation!
CT: What’s one word you think describes Western and why?
JY: One word that I think describes Western is enhancing! Western provides students with an endless amount of opportunities to not only further our learning, but to also grow as individuals.
CT: If you could be any teacher at Western for one day, who would you be and why?
JY: If I could be any Western teacher for a day, I would definitely be Mr. Selby, because he probably can win every single argument. That could really come in handy one day!


Fiona M., Grade 10



CT: Why did you decide to come to Western?
FM: I decided to come to Western because I was interested in being a part of the French Immersion and the IB program. Also, Western is the designated school for my area.
CT: What’s one word you think describes Western and why?
FM: One word that I think describes Western is big! There are so many people to meet, classes to take, and clubs to be a part of!